Re: Getting started with Foundation Elections?

Hey folks :-)

Thank you Vincent for pushing this.

On 06.04.2010 10:08, Vincent Untz wrote:
There are also a few things you
can do in parallel: work on a timeline for the elections, and announce
them, for example.

Hm. Not a particularly good example as the announcement should have the
timeline ;-)

What we could do though, it to announce that there will be elections so
that people can start making up their minds whether they want to run
while producing the timeline and then formally announcing the elections.

I suggest to send an announcement at the end of this month or at the beginning of
May.
Yep. The earlier the better.
As an example, a few things that we might want to avoid looking at
the timeline for last year:

 + have more time between the announcement and the opening of the list
   of candidates, to let people think about the idea of running

Yep. Could be mitigated by informing the people soonish, i.e. this weekend.

 + membership renewals should close before the list of candidates is
   announced (since you need to be a member to be a candidate)

Hm. Indeed. Don't know how that logical flaw creeped in. But I'm
confident that if you're searching long enough, you'll find a good
reason ;-) But let's do it different this time.

 + maybe close votes on a week-end instead of middle of the week (not
   sure; it might help in some way)

Hm. I don't know. We can try to look for that but I'm not convinced that
it changes anything.

 + have more time at the end of June to deal with challenges

hehe. Yeah. Although I expect everything to go well, now that we had an
election with the new STV, having spare time to cover fuckups is always
good.

Note that those are all suggestions -- it's up to you in the end :-)

Again, thanks for pushing.

My narrow mind thought that the following timeline could be reasonable:

CANDIDATES_OPENED_DATE    = (2009, 5,  2)
APPLICATIONS_CLOSED_DATE  = (2009, 5, 14)
RENEWALS_CLOSED_DATE      = (2009, 5, 21)
CANDIDATES_CLOSED_DATE    = (2009, 5, 23)
CANDIDATES_ANNOUNCED_DATE = (2009, 5, 26)
VOTING_OPENED_DATE        = (2009, 5, 30)
VOTING_CLOSED_DATE        = (2009, 6, 13)
PRELIMINARY_RESULTS_DATE  = (2009, 6, 15)
CHALLENGE_CLOSED_DATE     = (2009, 6, 22)

I'm trying to produce a "cal" calendar like output with the event
information soonish.

So any comments on the timeline mentioned above?

Could anybody take care of the pre-announcement mail? I'm thinking of
smth along the lines of "Dear members, we will officially announce
elections soon. Feel reminded that you could run as board member". So
nothing too fancy yet.

I'll try to come up with a nice announcement mail after having finished
implementing the calendaring stuff mentioned above.

Cheers,
  Tobi