Re: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections Spring 2009 - Preliminary results

Hello,

Honnestly, I'm not interested about the algorithm.  The easier it is, the
best it is for me.

I believe that we announced that we will use Maemo software for elections.
If we want to stay transparent, I believe we have to stay with the Maemo
method. If it had drawbacks, we should have been concerned before the
election.

I propose the following :

1) What are the results with the Maemo method ?

2) What is the problem with those results ? (aka : why should we use
another method ?)

3) What are the results with alternatives methods ? (by Alternative, I
suggest to try other algo like Condorcet or simple preferential vote.
Maybe we will discover that results are nearly always the same)

4) Maybe ask people for who the method change their elected status if they
accept the Maemo result ?

Anyway, I want to insist that, in my opinion, we were using Maemo method,
including the counting algorithm. I believe that this « using Maemo » was
reasonnably clear. People interested in the algo should have challenged us
before the election. Of course, we will avoid that next year by
explicitely stating the algorithm that will be used.

Lionel

Hey folks,

first of all: Sorry for the messy situation.
I think we ended up there due to the Bus Factor ain't as high as I'd
like it to be.

As we follow Maemo closely in terms of this election, I went for the
method used in Maemo as well. And this was, according to
http://maemo.org/vote/results.php?election_id=6, the method used by me.
We should have resolved the question about the method used and I
probably shouldn't have taken action before asking back. But we were
already late and I knew that I'd be pretty busy the next days. And as it
got pretty quite around here, I just did it.