Re: Applications processed + future renewals

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:53:45PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le Fri, 30 May 2003 17:23:48 -0700 (PDT), Andy Tai a ecrit :

You mean to end on Aug 31, 2003, right?

Yes, of course ;-)

I don't know if that is compatible with the bylaws.
If we (meaning the membership committee as an entity,
regardless of the people in the committee) have
promised a two year membership interval, then we
cannot end it prematurely... I think.

I totally agree, but I'm a bit concerned because it may be difficult for
us to tell a bunch of people every month that they have to renew their
membership. If we find a way to do this automatically, then that's
perfect, but right now, we'll have to do this manually. And I'm not sure
we'll be able to do this manually every month.

With a two year membership all members who were approved in 2001 will be
up for renewal.  This is not a lot of people.  For October we will only
have 53 renewals and for September there are only 8 renewals.  The
majority of people were renewed in 2002 so this is essentially an off
year for renewals.  Next year we will need to process a lot more
renewals.

A solution to that problem would be to move the list of members in some
database and many things would be far easier. I think it might be a good
step (we'd no longer have to write things in some flat files, we could
justhave a simple web interfaces, etc.), but I won't have time to make
some experiments before July/August.

I think this would help keeping track of who needs to renew their
membership as well as automatically sending out renewal notices and
general election announcements to the membership.  The project sounds
interesting and I might take a look at it this month.

Eric Baudais