Re: Next steps for the elections

--- Ghee Seng Teo <Ghee Teo Sun COM> wrote:

This one is quite embarrasing: it's Jim Gettys'
nomination. It seems he
has not renewed his membership. Could someone
confirm this ?

      Oh dear! What can be done? It seems such a pity
that Jim is
      such as experience and committed guy and useful
person to GNOME.
      Judging from the way he got machine for GNOME etc.
      Since he is on the board and is in the
membership.txt, since the
      membership guideline said all renewal of existing
member should be
      accepted automatically. I think we should ask Jim
simply to submit
      the form today and I would accept this in
restrospect.

Do we have authority for doing so?  What then about
people missing the deadlines?  If we make exceptions,
the deadline becomes meaningless.  The previous
committee last year rejected candidacy nomination from
some important people submitted after the deadline.
Shouldn't we follow the same type of work?

Jim can still get involved in GNOME even without being
on the board. Maybe the board can appoint him some
type of advisor, since he is an timer from the X
Windowing System. His work (fonts, etc.) can continue
without interruption.