Re: Windows dev environment

Ok, great, thanks for the suggestions, I will try a few things out and see how it goes.

Regards,
Adam

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM Vasily Galkin <galkin-vv yandex ru> wrote:
Unforunately my python experience is quite limited.
I performed bug-fixing in existing python code and created single-file python scripts from scratch.

I never created more-than-one-file python appliation from scratch. So the description below can't be treated as general-purpose guide to developing.
With meld most of the time I'm using one of the editors I'm used to (notepad++, gedit, far manager with pligins) and keeping opened the Python bindings to Gnome libraries documentation https://lazka.github.io/pgi-docs/

I think the link above is very useful. Really the only useful line in my email))

Sometimes when I really need interactive debugging - I'm using winpdb-reborn. It Is standalone python debugger without editor. Very lightweight compared to any IDE.
https://github.com/bluebird75/winpdb

While I used it several months ago - I used the 1.5.x branch on linux: the debugger GUI runs in python2, but the debugee (meld) can be started with ptython3. The current status of python3 in winpdb 2.x support is not obvious...

Also for small python scripts I sometimes use Visual Studio for code editing with some auto-completion and interactive debugging (Visual Studio IDE, not the Code). Main reason for this choice - I already used to it shortcuts a lot while developing in other langauges.

As far as I know even in best IDEs python autocompletion is not 100% working, due to dynamic nature of langauge.

Also I know, that a lot of my сolleagues at $job are using PyCharm IDE (mostly for a small projects, less-then-dozen files) both on Windows and Linux.

Both PyCharm and Visual Studio are completely closed-source, but there are Free Community editions.

--
Regards, Vasily