Re: Meld for OSX / GTK issues

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 09:45, Youssef A. Abukwaik
<youssef adnan gmail com> wrote:

I have already figured out how to fix this from the GTK side (GTK 3.24). I'll try this and see if it helps
with performance (going back to be windowed) - thank you.

Oh nice. Well I hope that addresses at least that headerbar issue.

It would help me so much if you make each release a branch so that I can pull stable upstream changes
instead of master as I do now.

We already do this! Individual releases are tagged as e.g., `3.20.1`,
and the stable release series is on a branch named e.g., `meld-3-20`.
Is this enough for your purposes?

Currently I don't do this for unstable series; since there's only ever
been one at a time, that's essentially just whatever is in `master`. I
guess if we ever needed unstable 3.21.x and 3.23.x branches at the
same time this could get messy, but it's not something that's ever
come up.

It would be awesome if anyone could help. I've asked for help in the issues on github, on my Facebook with
my techie friends and even in some of the forums. Everyone is excited but not one stepped up. To be honest,
building the environment is boring, but it's pretty much done and the I have already figured out the nasty
tricks (the gir files and the typelibs were a real challenge - I wanted one binary without a wrapper and
spent days with the linker and the typelib files till I got that right)
This part:
https://github.com/yousseb/meld/blob/master/osx/build_app.sh#L129
and this part:
https://github.com/yousseb/meld/blob/master/osx/build_app.sh#L155
Took about three weeks until I got them right..

It was a long time ago, but I do remember doing something similar for
the original Windows build. It's not a fun process, I'm sorry!

PS: I'll record a video of how it looks/feels on Mac. You should at least see it in action. :)

Awesome, please do.

cheers,
Kai