Meld for OSX / GTK issues

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the OSX fork. I've just pushed an update to the fork to get my fork on par with the latest upstream code. I haven't made any updates for a while due to personal reasons (a scumbag killed my brother in the Christchurch terrorist attack last March). I'm now trying to catch up and get Meld for OSX back on its feet.

During the past three weeks, I have struggled with bringing the Mac build to sync up with upstream. JHBuild has significantly changed. Meld has also significantly changed. I'm not complaining about either, but I am seriously complaining when it comes to GTK. GTK on Mac is way behind. The stable GTK/quartz implementations is slow, incomplete and has some significant issues. The git GTK/quartz does not even compile.

Here are some examples:
1. GTKHeaderBar - Meld has moved to borderless window and by using GTKHeaderBar, the window controls (min/max/close) are now embedded within the header bar. GTK implementation sets the flag GDK_QUARTZ_BORDERLESS_WINDOW in gdkwindow-quartz.c, however, it never sets the flag GDK_QUARTZ_MINIATURIZABLE_WINDOW. I'm unable to minimize the app window! Take a look at this:

2. Fullscreen mode: With the borderless window, I have big gaps around the app from all sides.. It's much better to maximize instead of entering full screen!

3. Fullscreen mode: To top it off, GTK cannot tell that it has entered fullscreen mode on quartz. is_full = window_state & Gdk.WindowState.FULLSCREEN is never true on GTK/quartz even if the app is really in fullscreen

4. I was hoping to be able to use GTK with vulkan (https://vulkan.lunarg.com) in order to speed things up. Vulkan is only available in the git version (3.96) of GTK and the quartz backend does not build. This is very disappointing because the GTK/quartz rendering is slow right now (especially with the new borderless window which adds RGBA flag - A being the issue here - to the main window making it report that isOpaque = false to the OS)

I should probably take this post to the GTK mailing list, but I spent a significant amount of hours trying to get Meld working on Mac during the past three weeks that I just had to give you guys an idea of what's been happening on the Mac side. I can probably get GTK 3.96 to build on Mac and create a patch. I'll give it a shot over the next weekend.

PS: At the time of writing this message, the binaries from my fork have been downloaded 251,000 times. The latest version can be found here: https://github.com/yousseb/meld/releases/tag/osx-17

Thank you for Meld.

Regards,
Youssef