Using external tool for comparison or display *diff file as 2 files

Hi all

I was trying to find out in history but without success.

Is it possible to use for comparison of text files external tool? For example 'git diff'  ? From some tests I made comparison made by git diff --patiance is better that build-in algorithm in meld. Is it possible to use external tool?

Is it possible to display just single *diff file as comparison of 2 files?
It is possible to generate diff file that contain full content of compared files. So idea is to generate this diff file using external tool and use meld to visualize differencies. Would it be possible? I am awware that in this case "files" displayed in panes would not be editable.
Kompare supports this.

Best regards,
Standa