Re: Meld on Windows

On 23 June 2017 at 07:54, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
If something else gets us that, then I am open to ideas.

I've spent a while this weekend experimenting with getting anything to run on Appveyor. So far it has... not gone great, though I'm unsure where the problem lies.

I tried to use msys/mingw for installing GTK+ DLLs, since that seemed more normal than our existing setup from the AIO installer. However, this has not gone well and gives me Meld MSIs that don't e.g., include the main Python DLL. I have no idea what's going on there. If it was possible to get that going, then that feels like a more reproducible option, though... who can say?

If anyone wanted to pick this up, my current progress is at:
    https://github.com/meld/meld/tree/appveyor
and should be buildable with a free open-source appveyor account.

An alternative approach would be to try to duplicate the old build environment using the system-installed Python and the GTK+ all-in-one installer. This might be easier.

Also, if anyone *does* pick this up, be aware that file comparison just won't work because of multiprocessing changes. If we can get a reliable build, I can look at that.

cheers,
Kai