Re: Meld on Windows

On 23 June 2017 at 09:27, Andrew Beyer <beyer andrew gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com>
wrote:

My main concern here is that I'd prefer something where we could keep
build config in the repo (mostly for bus factor reasons). The cost isn't a
huge deal, but if it can be cheap enough that I don't really have to care
(or free) then so much the better. Mainly, this just doesn't really *need*
to be CI; it can be manually triggered and/or happen on a release trigger.

I don't want to bikeshed this too much, so feel free to ignore if it's not
helpful: But given that you just want to do this manually/on release, would
it make more sense to just use one of the existing windows base images for
vagrant and spin up a local vm w/ some provisioning and a batch file or
msbuild project or whatever to kick off the build inside that? It would
require someone to have virtualbox locally when doing the build, but that's
free and not too onerous, and avoids the whole configuring/maintaining a
cloud service of some sort...you'd just have a vagrantfile and the
provisioning/build scripts in the repo that way.

I meant to respond to this, sorry!

Yeah that's technically an option, though unless I misunderstand their
use, this would still require a Windows license of some nature. I'm
not against doing this otherwise.

I'm also totally happy to carry config for different building options
in a win32/ folder in the repo, as long as they're maintained and not
a real maintenance burden.

cheers,
Kai