Re: Unexpected behaviour with multiple instances of meld

On 13 June 2015 at 11:27, Peter Williams <pwil3058 gmail com> wrote:
On 13/06/15 09:25, Kai Willadsen wrote:
On 8 June 2015 at 09:34, Peter Williams <pwil3058 gmail com> wrote:
Either way, could you please file a bug?

OK. I was reluctant to do that without discussing it first.

Yeah that's all good. Thanks for the report. I suspect that reordering
some present() calls will fix this particular issue, but I'll see how
we go.

This is just weird. I'm sorry, but I don't have any guidance here. It
may be an odd interaction between GtkApplication and your window
manager? but we certainly don't do anything strange in Meld itself.

It could be.  I don't use GtkApplication for my GUIs.  I just use a
GtkWindow instance (launched from a Python script) for my main window.

I don't know what other applications use but most of them (Geany, Firefox,
Thunderbird, regexxer, gnometerminal, etc) don't exhibit this behaviour.
However, I've just done some testing with Gnome terminal (which I'd never
tried this with before) and it exhibits the same behaviour as meld which may
help track down the problem.

But there's a chance that it's just a side effect of the above bug and that
it will go away when that's fixed.

Yeah, I'm going to guess that this is related to GtkApplication, which
implements single-instance logic among other things (possibly
including WM hints? I don't know).

If you're so inclined, you could try and reproduce with some sample
GtkApplication code and see what the story is, but I'd be extremely
surprised if this was a Meld-specific problem.

cheers,
Kai