Unexpected behaviour with multiple instances of meld

I use meld a lot (and have been for years) and usually have more than on instance in use at a time. There are a number of reasons for this usage pattern (e.g. working on more than one project at a time) but the main one is that I use it as the external diff viewer for git, mercurial and darning.

This used to work well for me but lately I've experienced problems as follows (meld 3.12.3 on Cinnamon):

1. if I launch a new instance of meld while I have a running copy minimised/iconified, the minimised instance gets raised.

2. if the original instance was on a different workspace to the one I was working on I get shifted to that workspace (which can be a little disorientating).

3. if I tick the "visible on all workspaces" option in an instances window management options (in an attempt to cope with issue 2 above) it doesn't play nicely e.g. it only shows up on another workspace if it was maximised when I changed workspaces. Other programs do not exhibit this behaviour including ones I have written myself that have nothing special in their implementation to achieve this.

I realize that other users probably use meld in different ways to me and that this coupling between instance probably suits their work practices but I was wondering if it would be possible to have an option that turns it off to allow launching of independent instances?

Thanks
Peter