Re: Updated 1.8.5 -> 3.12.2 and now preferences don't work

On 2015-01-07, Grant Edwards <grant b edwards gmail com> wrote:
On 2015-01-07, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:

In 3.12, preferences moved from GConf to GSettings/dconf, so the
backends are entirely different.

Thanks for the clue.  I suspected it was something like that.  The
buest guess is that I have GSettings/dconf broken, so I'll do some
googling starting with that.

I didn't have dconf installed. The Gentoo ebuild for meld 3.12 doesn't
have it as a dependancy.  After installing dconf then re-installing
glib and pygobject there was still no joy: meld preferences still
weren't getting saved.

[I did notice that at that point the 'gsettings' command-line app was
using the gconf back end, while the 'dconf-edit' command was using the
dconf back end.  They both showed the same set of available keys, but
values changed in one didn't affect the other.]

However, after logging out of my XFCE session, shutting down X11, and
then restarting X11/XFCE it looks like it's working.  [And the
gsettings command line app is now using the dconf backend.]

I must admit to disliking XML, but at least with gconf there was a
separate file for each app, and was mostly human-readible.  Switching
to using a single machine-readable blob for everything seems like a
huge mistake -- or is this somehow fundamentally different than
Microsoft's eternal MS Registry debacle?

I don't see that message.  Here are the messages I do get (blank
lines deleted) when running the current git version (uninstalled)
from the command line:

(meld:29738): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion 'G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
(meld:29738): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-preferences' for stock: Failed to load icon
(meld:29738): Gtk-CRITICAL **: render_fallback_image: assertion 'pixbuf != NULL' failed

I got all those messages to go away be switching from the GNOME icon
theme to the Gant icon theme.  Apparently the GNOME icon theme is
missing a 'gtk-settings' icon that meld expects to find.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I like the way ONLY
                                  at               their mouths move ...  They