Re: Can't open preferences since 1a3cbe3c on an installed meld (local is fine)

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:

Yeah, somewhat. I've loaded an Ubuntu VM to check it out, but I'm pretty
busy at the moment, so not sure when I'll get to a fix. The problem is a
Ubuntu (and maybe Debian?) specific Python install, which by default only
looks in /usr/lib/python2.7/SITE-
packages/, but installs to /usr/lib/python2.7/DIST-
packages/. Don't ask me. I have no words.

Strange.

If you give it a prefix (e.g., /usr/local) then it will automatically swap
out the site vs dist it seems, and the Python imports fine. However, we
don't handle it well when our resources are installed under somewhere other
than sys.prefix (a Meld problem, because we rely on distutils).

Therefore, if you install to /usr, we can have our resources, and if you
install to /usr/local we can access our packages.

Thanks for the explanation Kai. I really appreciate it.

Let me know if I can help with any testing if someone works on a fix.

Best,

Scott