Re: Can't open preferences since 1a3cbe3c on an installed meld (local is fine)

On 8 May 2014 09:58, Scott Kostyshak <skostysh princeton edu> wrote:
Hi,

On a recent checkout of meld (25c40916), preferences do not open for
me and I get the following output on the terminal:
<snip>
I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I install meld with the command
sudo ./setup.py install --prefix "/usr"

Good... because prefix installs that aren't /usr could be interesting, depending on the Python configuration and some other things. Either way, this should be fine.

I can run meld fine locally with ./bin/meld and have no particular
need to use the latest Git version. I'm just testing for fun (and so
that I can make some feature requests knowing they haven't been
implemented).
Note that when testing, I did not uninstall any previous version so I
cannot rule out the possibility of some previously used files causing
problems (which would be my fault). Let me know if you want me to look
into this possibility.

Am I missing a dependency?

It's quite odd that you're seeing this only on the installed version. You're not missing a dependency (or at least, there have been no new dependencies added recently). That suggests to me that some of our .py files aren't actually being installed (which they definitely are, according to the setup script).

If you could check whether the contents of the '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/meld/' folder actually match the repo versions then that would be great. Also, I don't know what your setup is, but if you have another version of Meld installed from packages in /usr/lib/... or similar then that would explain this. If none of those show up a problem then I'm not sure what's going on.

cheers,
Kai