Re: Refresh vs revert

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 1 November 2013 23:16, Ney André de Mello Zunino <neyzunino gmail com> wrote:

[...]

Having said that, "Refresh" usually indicates a non-destructive
operation, and reloading from disk is most certainly (potentially)
destructive, so I don't agree that refresh should do this. However...
(more below)

I'm not sure I've fully undestood the workings of the refresh function, but the non-destructive vs destructive argument seems reasonable.

[...]

Unfortunately, when Reload was renamed, I guess I didn't think about
the case of just wanting to compare against an externally edited
version that was changing. The thing is that the correct thing to do
here is to have a notification that the file on disk has changed and
prompt for a reload (or even auto-reload), which I think would solve
your problem nicely?

There's an open bug for this somewhere, and it's not particularly
difficult, but it's a bit of work to get right.

I agree with you that that would be the way to go. Other Gnome apps seem to behave the same way. Files which are open in GEdit, for instance, if externally modified, will cause a reload prompt to appear as focus is moved back to the editor.

Kai, thank you very much for your reply and keep up the great work!

P.S.: I'm using Gmail and am not sure about how it will affect the formatting of this response. I hope it looks OK.

Regards,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino