Re: Introducing myself.

On 19 March 2013 04:18, pintuxgu <pintuxgu hoevendesign com> wrote:
When I first started using Meld It was just about usable, as long as the
source code had not changed too much. With the last update I (use 1.6.0
now) this has improved a lot but It still doesn't come near the quality of
Araxis which I used during work long ago. Both programs have a common
problem with resynchonizing if there are a lot of changes between different
versions of the source code and I've been thinking about ways to improve
that every now and ten.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'resynchronising'. Do you mean doing the
initial diff, or updating the diff when the user makes changes?

<snip>
Just curious:
How many people are actively developing Meld at the time and how much
time / effort do they on (on average / max.) put into it?

There's one maintainer (me) and I'm the only one doing day-to-day bits
and pieces, answering mailing list questions, etc. though I do find
some time at least for features. I spend a few hours per week... not
really sure how many, but more than 2 and usually less than 8.

There are several other people who have been around for a while (check
the NEWS file) and semi-regularly send in fixes, which is great. There
are a few people interested in specific VC backends, which is useful
as I only use Git and Mercurial. Piotr Piastucki has been responsible
for a lot of our recent diff work, including our whole Myer's diff
implementation and some merging work. In the last couple of releases,
there have also been several people contributing significant features,
which is awesome!

cheers,
Kai