Re: Meld 1.7.2 released

If I'm understanding you right, Meld crashes when you launch it.  If so, Kai's probably right and it's a Python install issue.  If you use my installer, it comes with Python so you can leave your existing Python installation alone.  I eat my own dog food, and I don't think you'll find this error with my installer.

However, it does raise a question for me.  Is the icon on the "version control button" correct?  Now that I think about it, it seems a bit of an odd icon (with the red X).  I just wanted to make sure it's not some default fallback.
Inline image 1
Does that look right?

-Keegan

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Mark Mikofski <bwanamarko yahoo com> wrote:
> [...]

Hi Kai,

Thanks for your response!

TL;DR: libintl is **not** problem. I was able to link it. hi-color-icon-theme also **not** issue. I installed it. No icon shows for "version control". See more details below:

1. I linked to the wrong file, but that's obviously not the problem. I am using `GTK/runtime`, but I was looking in `lib`, but the `libintl` is in `bin`. But for some reason python doesn't like `cdll.intl`, I have to use the following:

    intl = cdll.LoadLibrary("libintl-8.dll")

and then it loads fine. So that is obviously _not_ the problem. So I don't think you need the try/except behavior unless you want to try it using LoadLibrary and libintl-8, which may fail on some systems without PyGTK/GTK+ which I assume all have the same version of gettext.

2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK, same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2]. I'm not sure if that is the difference. Is it possible that my version is too old for meld now?

3. here is the windows python crash report:

    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
      Application Name:python.exe
      Application Version:0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:4f84a524
      Fault Module Name:libglib-2.0-0.dll
      Fault Module Version:2.26.1.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:4d1b271d
      Exception Code:40000015
      Exception Offset:000000000005180e
      OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
      Locale ID:1033
      Additional Information 1:4718
      Additional Information 2:47183f87aa8b47fd333da005fc9f3c8c
      Additional Information 3:dd09
      Additional Information 4:dd097b52c7f2c82fc07702abf5dd2229

    Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

4. I installed the hi-color-icon-theme, and I don't get that warning anymore, but the other message is still there. here is the traceback **with** hi-color theme installed

    $ meld

    (python.exe:3296): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
    **
    Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)

    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

5. So what I've noticed is that the new version control icon is X-ed out as if it can't be found. Could that be what is causing the crash? bizarre

I will try to troubleshoot more if I get a chance. Thanks!

[1] http://www.gtk.org/download/win64.php
[2] http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/