Re: 3-way merge workflow

On 27 May 2012 21:27, Svein Seldal <sveinse seldal com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is probably answered earlier somewhere, but is there a description of
> how to do a 3-way merge workflow in meld somewhere?

Not an 'official' one, but there definitely should be!

I've seen various interesting workflows in the past, but can't find
them right now.

> It's very common to have the three columns as YOUR ORIG MINE when merging
> changes from YOUR to MINE, isn't it?
>
> I notice that it's not possible to merge directly from the rightmost column
> to the leftmost, which is something you'd do to merge from YOUR to MINE.
> Hence I'm curious how the workflow of a 3-way merge are intended to be done.
>
> (I did try to arrange the columns as YOUR MINE ORIG, but that was cumbersome
> as meld does not clearly show the relationship of YOUR vs ORIG, which is
> often the changes that needs merging.)

It sounds like the file you're saving is MINE, whereas I'd typically
be merging changes from MINE and YOUR into ORIG and saving that. As
you merge changes from MINE into ORIG, the ORIG to YOUR comparison
ends up showing you the changes between YOUR and MINE. This is the
workflow that Meld tries to use.

(I've been meaning to look some simple UI for breaking out comparisons
between two individual files in a three-way diff, but don't have
anything yet.)

For example, git mergetool calls Meld with files in the order
local-merged-remote (or local-base-remote if you're using a more
recent git).

cheers,
Kai