Re: push specific line

Guys,

While push a single line could be a great relief for all of us checking-in code, the "Align Lines" is the big advantage I see from it.
Meld should allow to manually align code instead of a single stage estimation: Often even the function headers of the code do not align, then the comparing process becomes real cumbersome and inefficient.
I suggest using one of the function keys to mark the aligned lines from each side and refresh the display afterwards.

Cheers
...Elad

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Kai <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 11 February 2011 07:53, David Kelley <dskelley gmail com> wrote:
> I agree with you on your general philosophy for VCSes, but the comparison to
> git-gui is a bit of a stretch for me. Git-gui shows changes in unified diff
> format. This means a deletion is shown as it's own line. It also means if
> you have a block of changed lines it will be shown separately as a few lines
> removed, plus a few lines added. This is functionally different from meld's
> display which shows lines modified side by side. Consider that you have 5
> lines modified to 10 lines between your two files. Now you want to keep the
> original 5 lines, plus your 1 line fix, discarding 4 lines, which might be
> debug prints or something. In git-gui you could click the one line you want
> and select stage for commit. How would this work in meld? You would hold
> down your modifier key, which would cause the first block to show 10 lines,
> 10 arrows, and the second block to show what? Also 10 lines with 5 blank? If
> only 5 lines, at which point in the opposing block do you insert the new
> line if you select a single line to merge? Above? Below? Somewhere in the
> middle? Even if you do expand to show blank lines changes are they won't
> really align where you want them to all the time, and in that case you'll be
> back to copy/paste like you have to now.

Right - that's the crux of the problem. Without some way of dealing
with modified blocks, I don't think the functionality is worthwhile.
I'm not saying that we couldn't find a way to deal with modified
blocks... but no one has proposed one yet.

> Anyway, I'm not exactly actively contributing code to meld, so if Kai, et al
> thinks there can be a clean, useful implementation, that's fine.

I'm not even at the stage of being worried about the implementation
yet; I don't even understand how the proposed functionality would
work.

> Just seemed
> like more trouble than it's worth since the exact functionality you're
> asking for is already present with one or two extra clicks.

Maybe, though there's something to be said for streamlining workflows.
Essentially what people appear to be asking for here is not actually
"Please give me a way to push a single line" but rather "Please make
Meld more useful for staging small commit chunks". Pushing a single
line is the git-gui (and others) approach, and maybe we can adapt
it... or maybe we can do something better.

cheers,
Kai