Re: push specific line

I don't see a big need for a 'merge specific line' feature. Both panes of meld are full text editors. Simply highlight the line in one side, copy/cut, move the cursor to the right position in the other side, paste. A merge specific line feature would be complicated to impliment, especially because it's not clean in all situations (modified [blue] blocks).

While a 'merge specific line' feature would possibly reduce that particular scenario by a few clicks, is it worth the effort/complication of code? How often do most people need to do this operation? Isn't the existing functionality sufficient to handle this case?

Just my 2 cents.

-- David

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Kai <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 6 February 2011 19:39, Victor Engmark <victor engmark gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Roee Shapiro <roeeshapiro gmail com> wrote:
>> Hello
>> I enjoy using meld.
>> I see there is a push to right/left feature which is for a single block.
>> I am looking for the option to push a single line (out of the block),
>> Does it exist ?
>
> Bump. A similar feature exists in git-gui, where you can right-click
> on a line (or selection of lines) and say "Stage Line For Commit".

The git-gui feature is completely different though. In git-gui, you
have one line for each insertion and deletion. We could replicate this
feature for insertions (and equivalently, deletions) but I don't see
how it would work for modified blocks (i.e., insert/delete pairs).

> In
> kdiff3, IIRC, you could also split chunks of diff lines into two at
> the line where the pointer is, which I thought was even more clever.
> It would then recompute the diff, so you could sometimes use that to
> make it easier to resolve moved chunks (which it does not detect).

Sorry, but from this description, I can't understand what this
splitting actually accomplishes.

cheers,
Kai