Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: On ubuntu 8.04 it doesn't work well]]]

As you say very large blocks are unlikely to be useful so I like the idea of a
simple hard limit on the length of block considered for inline highlighting.
Wouldn't block splitting be tricky because the blocks will not in general be the
same length, and would require some heuristic to try to keep them matched?

Stephen.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> What do you think about introducing some heuristic for splitting large
> blocks when highlighting inline differences? Realistically, an
> inline-diff of a sequence that long is not likely to be all that
> helpful, so some splitting might give a reasonable compromise between
> accuracy and speed.
>
> The patch I posted previously just refused to inline-highlight
> anything longer than a certain threshold, but it would also be
> possible to e.g., only inline-diff the first 10000 characters of a
> change, or to split large changes into blocks of a few thousand
> characters each and inline-diff those individually.
>
> cheers,
> Kai
>
> 2009/1/19 Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>:
>> Hi Bartolomeo,
>>
>> The files you have sent are almost completely different. This isn't an
>> ubuntu-specific thing - it's a long time known issue that inline differences
>> for very large blocks is slow (to the point of looking crashed).
>>
>> I removed the "standard-atlante-plus" prefix from file2 and everything
>> worked as expected. Granted, meld should behave better in this situation, but
>> you can easily avoid it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen.
>>
>> 2009/1/16 Bartolomeo Nicolotti <bnicolotti siapcn it>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> also two my collegue of mine has problems with the file attached with
>>> meld.
>>>
>>> Gianluca has Ubuntu 8.10 meld 1.1.5.1
>>> Marco has Ubuntu 8.04 meld 1.2
>>> I have Ubuntu 8.04 meld 1.2