Re: meld and windows

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Lorenz <lorenznl yahoo com> wrote:
> Kevin Grover wrote:
>
>>Since GTK runs under Windows, it would just required PyGTK to be
>>installed.  I quick Google found:
>>
>>http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq21.001.htp
>>
>>So, it should be possible.
>
> being the python ignorant I am, I still seem to have gotten pygkt
> installed as discribed in the above link.
>
> But now I'm stumped angain. How do I get meld installed?
>

>>Just for fun, I may try it later.
>
> Yes please 8-)
>
> And then writing-up a "Meld-on-windows HowTo for Dummies" would be
> very appreciated.
> --

Well it's not as easy as I'd hoped.  There seems to be _many_ builds
for PyGTK for windows and I have no idea which ones work or are
current.  I noticed that I have PyGTK on my work box, but I no longer
know how I installed it.

However, when I tried meld, it errored out saying that it could not
import 'gconf', which I'm guessing is part of 'gnome-python' (which,
although it references and points to PyGTK, it's different).  I
grabbed it to look at it, but it appears to be a bunch of C code.

I also looked at the meld install process.  It uses a custom makefile
vice the normal python distutils.  __If__ I ever figure out how to run
meld on Windows, I may look at setting up a setup.py file so I can use
py2exe and Inno Setup to create an installable (runable) meld package
for Windows.

Anyway, I probably won't have a change to beat on this too soon.

- Kevin