Re: comparing files with different line endings

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Mark H. Wilkinson <mhw kremvax net> wrote:
> Anyway, you can use text filters to get meld to ignore line ending
> differences, making CRLF and LF compare equal. In the Text Filters
> preferences page, add a new filter with a name something like 'CRLF line
> ending' and the regex '\r+$'; enable it, then restart meld to get the
> setting picked up when comparing a directory tree.
>
> Just something to make life a bit easier...

I'd apply the following, if someone explain me what to do to update
the .po files to contain this new string.

Could you test it ?

You'd need to hit the 5th button "Rétablir" (in french, maybe
"revert" in english) on the text filter preference page to get
the default filters...

But but but,
I tried to reproduce myself, to have some minor form of testing before
throwing the patch at you, and I cannot get meld (svn up to date) to
show me line ending differences (that's in fact an option I would like
to have) So is that a bug or which version of meld does show line
endings ?

I created a text file on unix, used unix2dos to get a dos version,
verified with cmp that the files actually differ, and ran meld to diff
the 2, shows me no diff... ((de-)activating the "\r+$" filter does not
help either)

I found that old closed bug
Bug 142323 – Ignore differences in line ending characters (CR and LF)
which asks for an option to *ignore* line ending differences, so you're
not alone seeing them...

What did I miss ?

--
Vincent Legoll