Selecting/Deleting blocks across both files

I was trying to refactor/reduce two sets of patches (separate patchfiles)
and was using Meld to check for differences and commonality,
and then eliminate all file patches that occurred in both files.

However, when I wanted to remove a patch operation common to both
files, there was no way of selecting a block of text across both files
simultaneously in order to delete.

I tried doing it piecemeal, one side at a time, but then the text
sync got confused and there doesn't appear to be a way of pinning
the file sync across files.

Any ideas please about how I should go about this ?

Incidentally, neither could I find a way of merging to a new third file,
which might have been an alternative, since both input files
were just shown as complete deletions from the destination file !!
I had been hoping for a) diffs between 2 inputs shown as usual,
with b) option to copy blocks from either into destination file.
(Maybe I could use a copy of one of the inputs as my initial output.)

Regards,
MikeW