Re: [rebellion attempt] Fight back!

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022, Nate Bargmann wrote:

* On 2022 24 Oct 03:26 -0500, Werner LEMBERG via mc wrote:

a lot of the Evolution mailing list members, including myself,
tested the mailing list ability of Discourse. I was not allowed to
start a new thread by email, because my gamification level was 0.
You are allowed to start a new thread by email, after you reached
level 1.  This is not the only annoyance. Discourse GNOME has got no
real mailing list ability.

Given that mc is a GNU project, why not using the most natural site,
`gnu.org`, for a mailing list?  An additional bonus is that the
gnu.org mailing list archives come with a nice – and working! – search
interface.

Werner, I think that would be ideal.  I am not an mc dev, just a user
satisfied with the program for 26 years or so.  I don't recall where the
bug tracker is hosted, probably aggregated in the rest of GNOME, but it
would be nice to move mc issues over to the Savannah tracking system.
If the mc devs would agree I think this process should be expedited
given the short time frame available.

Well, we haven't been formally excommunicated from GNU, but I wouldn't want to use more of their infrastructure than necessary, and rather maintain strategic ambiguity for as long as tenable.

Our Trac instance is hosted at OSU OSL. I have applied for a mailing list there yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.

By the way, it was a lot of work back in the day to migrate the tickets from Savannah to Trac, and if I were to migrate the tickets somewhere else today, that would be GitHub. Unforunately, so far no one serious enough turned up to see what can be done about that... and a bad migration doesn't bring anything either.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev