Re: MC Version 4.8.26 can not load any skin

On 3/11/21 2:12 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
snipped ...

When I start 4.8.26 I get an error message that
"Unable to load 'gray-green-purple256' skin." or whatever
skin has been configured earlier from 4.8.24.
If the ini file is deleted, than the error message indicates that
the default skin cannot be loaded.
snipped ...
I have found a solution, but I would certainly
appreciate any insights to why this happened in the first place.

The older version of mc - 4.8.24 - was installed by apt-get
  Both the executable and the skins are installed under /usr with
  the executable at /usr/bin and the skins at /usr/share/mc

The new version - 4.8.26 - was compiled via the default configure script
'sudo make install' installs the newer version at /usr/local/bin but does not install any skins at /usr/local/share ... so I copied the skins for 4.8.26 to
/usr/local/share/mc and all is good.

So now my question is: Why weren't the skins for 4.8.26 installed as they
should have been by make install?

And an additional question is : On another machine with linux ubuntu 16.04,
version 4.8.26 is finding skins at /usr/share/mc. Was this solved by a system-wide setting?

cheers

--
Tim
tj49.com