Re: MC doesn't edit files on remote file systems (e.g. ssh) if external editor is used

Hi Pavel,

I've known of a similar issue for some time.

My workaround to edit a file with ftpfs is:

In mc I have the left pane for my local machine, and the right pane for the remote ftpfs file system.

download the file to edit it on your local machine.

make an original copy on the local machine.

edit the file on your local machine.

If there are a lot of changes, diff your edited copy with the original, to make sure you've got all the edits right.

use ftpfs to copy the edited file back to the server and overwrite the remote file you are trying to edit.

I cannot SSH into my remote hosting so I have to use ftp.

Another good choice is to do the same but with Filezilla ftp client.

Using Filezilla you can do a diff of what's on your local machine with what's on the remote machine.

Kind regards,

Keith Roberts
mob: 0794 88 503 41