Re: mc Digest, Vol 146, Issue 10

On 10/15/2016 10:57 AM, Mike wrote:
I've never met Peter Norton. I think I installed some Norton software in the 90s. I don't recall much about it or him so I have nothing to compare. I think there is a nc clone/wannabee out there somewhere, but mc is only similar by accident - the 2 panel thing. Apparently it is a "visual shell for *nix environments", not a "file manager", although I categorize it as one, like most users I think. midnight commander has its origins from the 90s too. It sucked far worse back then.
Hey Mike,

I used to love Norton Commander (nc) because of its function keys for copy and move in combination with easy selection of files. Those are the traits that mc copied from norton and made me start using MC. Probably MC also copied the editting. In comparison to DOS at the time, Norton Commander was really a breeze of fresh air. He really thought things through. When I switched to Linux I went to MC and never looked back. He also made other more system oriented software for windows, but I am getting OT now.

Anyway, I like MC for the same reasons and especially for the reason it is reliable. With one exception everything works as I expect it to. The exception is that sometimes the current directory is remembered when finishing MC, and sometimes it isn't and you end up in the original directory that you started MC. This usually happens after full upgrade or installing a new OS (Fedora -> Ubuntu or back)

I haven't seen this for a while, so probably the setup of MC has improved. I work from Fedora 24 atm.

Kind regards, Guus.