Re: Respect XDG environment variables

13.06.2012 18:50, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:
On Wednesday 13 June 2012, Slava Zanko wrote:

These hardcoded paths have used only in one case: if you specify
MC_HOME environment variable. For example: MC_HOME=/tmp/mchome-$$
mc

in this case you'll have directory structure:
/tmp/mchome-12345/.cache /tmp/mchome-12345/.config
/tmp/mchome-12345/.local/share

In any other cases (when MC_HOME variable isn't set) mc used
XDG_* variables as well, you may check it yourself :).

Not. These hardcoded path' will use when --with-homedir=XDG will
set in configure

Should be set --with-homedir=XDG in configure script and in runtime
should be set MC_HOME environment variable. Only in this case mc uses
hardcoded paths. If you'll set the '--with-homedir=XDG' configure
variable, but keep empty the MC_HOME environment variable, then mc
will respect XDG_* variables as well.

I see in configure option --with-homedir, which specified location
of home directory. In this parameter I can set "XDG" and mc will
"respect XDG standards". So, "respect XDG standards" IMHO is use
environment variables, when they are defined. When
--with-homedir=XDG MC will hardly use ".local", ".cache" and
".config" dirs instead.

Yes, if --with-homedir will equals to XDG, then mc respect XDG
standards with environment variables. I'd like to say again: the
hardcoded paths will used only(!!!) if you'll set MC_HOME environment
variable. Keep this variable empty and you get street magic, as you
expected.

Well. Stop this boring thread. You had have said, I had have
heard.

I don't sure that you heard exactly what I said :(
Sorry, I don't mean to offend you - my English isn't ideal, this a reason.

P.S. just try to download latest release from m-c.o, compile and run
the compiled app:

XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config2 /path/to/compiled/mc

if, after the command, you'll not see the ~/.config2 directory, I'll
eat my keyboard with video on youtube, I promise.

- --
WBR, Slavaz.