Re: mc 4.7.5.2 always exits to its starting directory

On 07/14/2011 02:24 PM, Boyandin Konstantin wrote:
  Is this a 4.7.5.2 bug/feature, or a quirk of the mentioned build?
This is done on purpose.

Fedora packages source a wrapper script to start mc that remembers the
current directory before actually launching the program, so that after
you quit mc your pwd is restored.
I see.

OK, I'll run the binary mc directly. I suppose it's of no purpose discussing why such changes are made, the
rules of the list prevent me from expressing my thoughts about this.

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Konstantin

You only have to disable the alias or alter it. the command "mc" is aliased to a script that remembers the pwd. For me it works properly i.e. it happily forgets the pwd, but for the life of me, I don't remember how I did it.

[gbonnema athene etc]$ alias mc
alias mc='. /usr/libexec/mc/mc-wrapper.sh'
[gbonnema athene etc]$ cat /usr/libexec/mc/mc-wrapper.sh
MC_USER=`id | sed 's/[^(]*(//;s/).*//'`
MC_PWD_FILE="${TMPDIR-/tmp}/mc-$MC_USER/mc.pwd.$$"
/usr/bin/mc -P "$MC_PWD_FILE" "$@"

if test -r "$MC_PWD_FILE"; then
    MC_PWD="`cat "$MC_PWD_FILE"`"
    if test -n "$MC_PWD" && test -d "$MC_PWD"; then
        cd "$MC_PWD"
    fi
    unset MC_PWD
fi

P.S. why would the list rules forbid you to express your thoughts on this? As long as you use neutral language and refrain from attacking anyone personally, I don't see what you could do wrong by saying what you think abou the subject.

Guus Bonnema.