Re: Unity redefines F10

On Saturday 30 April 2011 04:32:42 Theodore Kilgore wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
Hi!

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 03:52 -0400, Jabba Laci wrote:
Do you know how to get back F10 in Unity? I haven't found it yet.

Yes, that's a PITA, affect yourself with this bug to increase the
heat:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/750700

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

Hi,

While I fully agree that they should not do that, let me mention that I
faced the same problem a couple of years ago when I installed MC on a
Mac OS-10 system. The Mac already has F10 mapped to something like
"minimize window" or such. Also, for that matter, F9 already has a
specific meaning.

In such situations it is possible to do some kind of re-mapping. Try to
figure out which of Cntl-F10, Alt-F10, Shift-F10 or whatever do not
already have a designated meaning, and re-map the exit function to one
of those. How I did that at the moment escapes me, but it was not that
difficult, actually.

This is certainly not an ideal solution, but it can alleviate an
annoyance, at least to some extent.

Also, while one could hardly expect OS-10 to accommodate the key
conventions of MC, I do emphatically agree that a Linux distribution
really ought to. MC has a long and widespread usage pattern on Linux,
and distros ought simply to understand that there are going to be lots
of people who continue to want to use it no matter what kind of fancy
new desktop designs that they want to introduce.

One of  the reasons the don't bother about keeping the mc keys is that
they do not put mc in the distro.  Why I have no idea as it is the first
thing I have to add.

There was also a problem with an older 8.04? Ubuntu usurping F10.

William

Hoping that the above suggestions might help a little bit,

Theodore Kilgore