Re: Unity redefines F10

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

Hi!

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 03:52 -0400, Jabba Laci wrote:

Do you know how to get back F10 in Unity? I haven't found it yet.

Yes, that's a PITA, affect yourself with this bug to increase the heat:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/750700

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

Hi,

While I fully agree that they should not do that, let me mention that I
faced the same problem a couple of years ago when I installed MC on a Mac
OS-10 system. The Mac already has F10 mapped to something like "minimize
window" or such. Also, for that matter, F9 already has a specific meaning.

In such situations it is possible to do some kind of re-mapping. Try to
figure out which of Cntl-F10, Alt-F10, Shift-F10 or whatever do not
already have a designated meaning, and re-map the exit function to one of
those. How I did that at the moment escapes me, but it was not that
difficult, actually.

This is certainly not an ideal solution, but it can alleviate an
annoyance, at least to some extent.

Also, while one could hardly expect OS-10 to accommodate the key
conventions of MC, I do emphatically agree that a Linux distribution
really ought to. MC has a long and widespread usage pattern on Linux,
and distros ought simply to understand that there are going to be lots of
people who continue to want to use it no matter what kind of fancy new
desktop designs that they want to introduce.

Hoping that the above suggestions might help a little bit,

Theodore Kilgore