Re: ftp, login name with a '@' in the middle

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 05:20:18AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
* Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj terra es> wrote:
Hello,

I contracted a new hosting today and my user name has a '@'
in the middle. How can I -well, can I at all?- instruct mc to login
with such a name?

Your hoster is broken. '@' is not a valid character for usernames.
no and there are too many broken hosters anyway. If the world is wrong can
you choose another one?

Since mc uses the @ to separate the login name from the machine
name it gets confused and it says it can't find the machine. The
login line ends being like this:

/#ftp:foo bar:password ftp box es /dir

That would totally break the current syntax, which is almost an URL.
no mc just have to start considering the hostname starting from the right
of the string. The MidnightCommander line parser should be rewrittenn in
this way. It should be considered as a bug and filed a bug report.

bye

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |