Re: ftp, login name with a '@' in the middle

* Marco Ciampa <ciampix libero it> wrote:

Your hoster is broken. '@' is not a valid character for usernames.
no and there are too many broken hosters anyway. If the world is wrong can
you choose another one?

Bad analogy. The world exists only once, at least the material one (IMHO).
But hosters exists in numbers of several thousands, and they're standing
in big competition. So it's quite easy to choose another one ;-P

BTW: many years ago, I've used dots and slashes in usernames and later
(when util-linux, ssh, etc refused to work with them) had to find out
that they're illegal. I didn't complain and filed bugs, instead fixed
the usernames to more sane ones.

no mc just have to start considering the hostname starting from the right
of the string. The MidnightCommander line parser should be rewrittenn in
this way. It should be considered as a bug and filed a bug report.

Go ahead and submit a patch ;-P

BTW: for now, mcvfs' filenames are very close to URLs (trivial to convert),
the internal cd command partially understand URLs (especially for ftp),
and in the mc-mvfs branch filenames are actually converted to URLS (as
libmvfs operates on URLs). We should keep this in mind.

I'd suggest using URL-escaping instead of plain @.

cu
        http://patches.metux.de/