Re: Got lost in windows (was: Re: Mc Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1)

Hello,

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:59:50 +0100 (BST)
Keith Roberts <keith karsites net> wrote:

Well under Fedora and KDE I have 18 desktops running. I can
then use the Konsole program (an X terminal program for
KDE) to open 3 or more tabs, each with a different version
of mc running. Double clicking on the Konsole tab allows me
to rename that tab to something helpfull so I don't get
lost.

For me, the natural choice if you want to be with the hands over your keyboard
is gnu screen. You can open as many screen windows as you want, and copy/paste
things between them. There are many ways to copy the selection buffer to whichever
X buffer you need (for example, binding the thing to xclip or xsel)

You can define a hardstatus line to see where you are, as well. There's a lot
more about screen that can't be sumed up on a simple mail. For more info,
subscribe to the relevant mailing list and ask there:

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Cheers.
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj terra es>