Re: Ctrl-O - why subshell only with bash, tcsh, zsh?

I hope you do not mind me pushing this:

Alexander Kriegisch:
MC FAQ:
6.6 When I use Ctrl-O I don't get a subshell.  How do I fix this?

Only bash, tcsh and zsh can be used as subshell.  Use one of those
shells as your default shell, and it will be used as subshell in GNU
Midnight Commander.

What is the reason for that? I use BusyBox ash on an embedded platform
(DSL/LAN/WLAN router) and would like to have a Ctrl-O subshell. What
would be technically required from a candidate shell in order to make it
work?