Directory synchronisation

I wonder if there is a way to perform directory synchronisation from
within MC. Some people who also use Windows might know this kind of
functionality from Total Commander. I often used it to stay in sync with
certain FTP servers. The sync option there offers several search and
sync criteria concerning how to sync if there are two files with the
same sub-path and name (compare by content, timestamp etc.). Can I do
something like this in MC or would you rather recommend another Linux
tool for it? (OT: If so, which one? You may answer privately to this
question so as not to pollute the mailing list.)

Regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch