Re: Dar (disk archive) plugin

hi Guus,

yes, the 'dar' extfs plugin works fine! That's exactly what I was looking for. Good work, many thanks.

I noticed it's very fast to open (browse) a big dar archive - much faster than opening an equivalent '.tar.gz'. When restoring a directory with many files it's a bit slow, maybe just because mc displays each file being restored? Anyway, I can use dar or dar_manager at the command-line for big restores. Even then, your plugin is a great help to check first if / where the wanted files are in the archive.

I'll do some more tests this week and let you know how they went. Have you posted this success in a dar forum?
   http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=65612
I'm sure many of the dar users (few, but smart :-) can profit from your work.

My first (successful) restore tests were with dar version 2.2.2. I noticed your comment in 'udar' : 'dar version >= 2.3.0' and next tests will be with 2.3.1.

Just one more question: "# Limitations: # - Block and character special files are not handled". Could you explain this a bit? I found a description for "Block special files" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_device , but not sure if that's what you mean.

cheers, Stefan