Subshell on Cygwin was Re: Sub-shell (ctrl-o) behavior

Hello,

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

Hello,

On Thu, 19 May 2005, GiveMeFish Lists wrote:

Under cygwin and when I telnet to a FreeBSD server, I ctrl-o and can
only see the results of the previous command.  I can't, for example,
type in another command.  As soon as I enter another keystroe, I am
immediately returned to the MC interface.

The subshell feature is disabled by default on Cygwin since it leaves
stale shell processes. I've be plannig to look into this for a long
time but I don't have time to properly debug the issue and it is not a
simple one really. Anyway, if you cannot be bothered by the fact that
subshells are left behind, you can enable the subshell by passing the '-U'
command line switch to mc .

Yesterday, I've submitted a patch to the Cygwin folks which fixes the
cause for the stale subshell problem. The bugfix will be available as soon
as a new Cygwin release is made. In the meantime you can use snapshots from:

  http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/

Every snapshot built after August 17 should be ok. Once a new Cygwin
release is out I'll release and updated MC package for Cygwin which will
have the subshell enabled by default.