mc vs UTF-8 in Fedora Core 3

Hello there,

I'm experience problems w/ mc when using a UTF-8 locale: stickchars are badly
shown (needs -a), and mc stucks when copying/opening files whose filenames
contain accents. I know that some utf8 patches are pending but I'm still a bit
confused about the development branches of mc..

In Fedora Core 3 (which uses utf8 by default), I tried both mc-4.6.1-0.12.FC
and mc-4.6.1a-0.8 (development) but still face the problem. Any hint around
this problem? Is there any way to get mc working fine w/ utf8 or maybe mc is
not the culprit there?

Regards,

--
wwp