Re: [Fwd: Re: Clearing the screen was: Re: ShortCut for findNext in Mcedit]

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 18:42, Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, A.J. Bonnema wrote:

I am most embarased, but I don't know how to make a screenprint. From an
xterm........ I use Gnome and RH 9.0.

Are you saying you are using xterm?  Can you try other terminals, such as
rxvt and gnome-terminal?

Ok, this is my ignorance, checking the properties it turned out to be a
gnome-terminal all te time.
Actually, it is gnome-terminal that has the problem. I started an xterm
using a gnome-terminal and the problem was gone. I don't know how to
start an rxvt, but it seems possible to be just a gnome-terminal
problem.

Does this help?

As soon as I have found how to make a screen print I will send one.

Actually, it's not needed.  I understand how it looks like.  I just cannot
reproduce the problem.

Do you use gnome-terminal? Probably you don't....

As I understand the code, the terminal contents is saved and then
restored.  However, the cursor is not positioned to a certain place.
However, the terminal does the right thing and restored the cursor.  This
stopped working for you.

Can you please downgrade to mc-4.5.55 temporarily to see if the problem
persists?  I still don't understand if any changes in mc are responsible
for this problem or it's caused by other changes, e.g. in terminfo, S-Lang
or terminal.

The problem is, that after closing mc the commandline is obscured by
whatever is already on the screen.

It's possible to put the cursor to the bottom, but we'll put at
disadvantage users who don't have this problem.

I agree. This is not desirable. Besides, the obvious, temporary
solution, until the problem in gnome-terminal is found, is to use rxvt
or xterm instead.

Do you know of any disadvantages of using xterm in stead of gnome-term?

Anyway, thanks very much for the help so far. It seems like the problem
is localized to gnome-terminal. Maybe someone can rxvt (cause I don't
know how to start it)?

Guus Bonnema.

--
A.J. Bonnema <abonnema xs4all nl>