Quick ".." question

Hi.

Just wondering what doing a chown on ".." really does.
I would interpret this is acting on the directory you
are inside, but it seems that whatever is set stays on
just "..", leaving the directory I am in unaffected.
Do I just not understand the filesystem, or is there
another reason for this behavior?

I am running MC 4.6.0 / Slack 9

I cannot subscribe to the mailing list as I don't have
a mail account which will let me store any reasonable
amount of mail. If any replies could also be sent to
my address the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!