Esc-P in mcedit: What exactly happens?

Hi,

I use mc for "everything" on my Linux machine, which means mcedit is  my
editor of choice in mutt. What I really missed in vi was a way to justify
text like you can  do in pico. In mcedit I am using Esc-P which sort of
justifies the  text. However, when doing it some words get two spaces
between them.  Why is that? Or rather, what is Esc-P actually doing? And
finally, does  mcedit have a justify function similar to pico?

You can see the effect of Esc-P in this mail (the paragraph above).

TIA for help and pointers.

--
//Christian
Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/