Re: 2 Qs: Ctrl-O and Alt-O

Hello, Mikhail.

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Mikhail Zotov wrote:

1. In mc-4.6, Alt-O (or, M-O) works in another way in
comparison with mc-4.5.xx.  Is it possible to compile
(or configure) mc-4.6 so that it restores the old-style
behavior of Alt-O?

No, I suppose.

2. I've noticed that mc's behavior in console differs in
different distros.  Namely, in Slackware Ctrl-O for root
shows the screen as it is, i.e., with all previous output.
For an ordinary user, Ctrl-O shows just a blank screen.
In RH, Ctrl-O acts in the same manner for everybody
(like root's mc in Slackware).  I use Slackware but
cannot figure out how to enable the root-like behavior
of mc in console :(

Excerpt from INSTALL.FAST file:

If you're on a GNU/Linux system, this will install the `cons.saver'
utility, which allows the Midnight Commander to save and restore the
screen contents.  This utility can be installed setuid root, but it's
only needed on systems where users cannot access /dev/vcsaN, where N is
the virtual console number, on which the uses is logged on.

I have done 'chmod u+s cons.saver' on my workstation to solve the
problem.

...Bye..Dmitry.