Re: Changing colors

Pavel Roskin wrote:

Hello!

I'm understanding the colour settings better now. In
http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/quickview.png, on the left pane, the
line with "/.." (and all other directories) are shown in blue. How do i
change that colour? (eg, to the background colour)

"directory"

The default is white directories on a blue background.
If i do: mc -C directory=red, this does not do white directories
on a red background, but red directories on a blue background.

How would i get *white directory writing* on a *red background* ?
It is this background that comes out as light blue when using
mc in an xterm.

$ mc --help-colors | sed -n 1p
--colors KEYWORD={FORE},{BACK}

This is meant to say that foreground is specified before comma, background
is after comma.  I know, a lot of user-visible texts in mc are too
technical for the modern users.  Sorry for that.

I've already tried setting color0-15 in my ~/.Xsession file, but it
had no effect even after rebooting the pc. I tried your settings above,
but still no effect. .Xsession:

One more time:
http://www.google.com/search?q=xterm+RGB+color

Follow the first link (just in case it changes:
http://www.jbisbee.com/linux/colors/)

I'm not going to answer you anymore - you don't do any research and don't
even read my replies.

Sorry, i read all the docs dozen of times, but i just
didn't get it (too thick;). For some reason i thought
FORE,BACK only applied to the normal option, and all the
other options only permitted FORE. I actually tried
mc -C normal=yellow,green days ago. I know the instructions
are obvious now, but it would have helped much if someone
would have just said try mc -C directory=yellow,green  in
my questions about background colors. I couldn't live
without mc.

That said, why doesn't setting XTerm*color0-15 in ~/.Xresources
have any effect on mc in an xterm? Doing mc -C directory=yellow,blue
still gives a yuck light blue background. mc -C directory=#b21818,#b26818
doesn't have an effect in an xterm either.

Does anyone here actually get the same colors in an xterm as on
a normal 'linux' console?