Re: feature question

Hello Pavel,

thanks for your response.

Hello, Bernd!

Every time you report anything related to the keyboard and screen output,
please give some details about the terminal and the value of the TERM
environment variable.  Also, the output of "mc -V" would be more useful
than just the version, since it mentions the features of the build, and
could possibly have answered your question already.

O.k., for this version it works:
bernd riemann w_TDM>mc -V

GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Edition: text mode with X11 support to read modifiers
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, ftpfs, mcfs
With builtin Editor
Using S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
Using locale "POSIX" (from environment variable LC_ALL)

TERM is xterm, but it also works when TERM is vt100, vt220, etc.

Now I'm wildly guessing that your terminal is xterm (or some other
terminal for X11) and Ctrl-j works as you describe it when mc is compiled
with support for X11 events (option --with-tm-x-support for configure).

On ssh'ing to another computer without X-forwarding, Ctrl-j indeed doesn't
give the expected result, so it seems you are right.

Note that such behavior is not documented - it's a side effect rather than
the expected result.

Hmm, its a nice side effect (I didn't know about it, but someone who had
formerly used the Norton Commander, pressed this combination and it gave the
result he expected).

Can you give me a hint which source-files are responsible for keyboard short
cuts, so that I could  make it work without X-support (of course, only if I
have time and this is currently very limited).

Bernd