Re: more questions

1. Can I use keytrokes such as ctrl-insert, shift-f7 etc? In the source
I found no way to define these - are they available? E.g. ALT(KEY_F(1))
does not work.

This functionality is quite limited.  You can use "Learn Keys" dialog
under "Options" menu to assign keystrokes.  The problem is, you can
rededine only some keys, namely those corresponding to "problematic" keys,
i.e. you can make Ctrl-Insert work as F17, but you cannot redefine e.g.
Ctrl-r used to reread the panels to be Ctrl-Insert.

Yes, but I can define reread to be called by F17 in the source, recompile, and then define Ctrl-Insert to be
F17. Awkward but "works for me." Thanks for helping out!

However, if the F11-F20 are just empty placeholders, I would love to see them called in a more intuitive
fashion. Also having more than 10 such placeholders would be helpful. (And an ability to fully define keymaps
without having to recompile, of course...)

They don't work on many terminals by default.  You have to use "Learn
Keys".  Things are improving in the development version, as more keys are
supported by default.  You could give more information (OS,

Mandrake 8.2

value of TERM
environment variable,

TERM=xterm

[...]