Re: MC with SMB as VFS

Hi Pavel,

There is already some support for SMB shares in MC, but it's implemented
in such "hacky" way that it's disabled by default.  If I understand
correctly (sorry if I'm wrong), you are not even aware about that
implementation.
Nope, I wasn't aware of that. I looked at the available FAQs and docos and
found no mentioning of samba, or SMB.

1) Use samba library.  The problem is that such thing doesn't exist (it
didn't last time checked).  Contribute it to the Samba team.  Make MC use
it when it's installed.

2) Make MC run "smbclient" and parse its output.  May be not so reliable,
but no changes in other software are required (hopefully).  This is how
FiSH (FIles transferred over SHell) works.
Actually, I thought just from the user's point of view, not how I (or whoever
else) would do it. I must admit that I'm not an expert on samba, but I use
smbclient from time to time and its interface is very much like ftp's. And
since ftpfs is there, and the usage is like:
/#ftp:[!][user[:pass] ]machine[:port][remote-dir]

I thought that we could have something like this:
/#smb:[user[:pass] ]machine[remote-dir], or
/#smb:[user[:pass] ]samba-share, or maybe something completely different
(like FAR's network browser plugin for example).

I find your proposals very interesting and if I was to choose one of them I
would go for 1)... who knows, maybe I will (no commitment here though...)

All the best
dishlav