Re: MC with SMB as VFS

Hello, Zdzislaw!

I was just wondering whether including support for Samba is a feasible think
to do - or maybe Pavel already has this on his TODO list?

Anyway just an idea.

No, I don't have this in my TODO list.  Could you please explain in more
details what you mean and what you want to do?

There is already some support for SMB shares in MC, but it's implemented
in such "hacky" way that it's disabled by default.  If I understand
correctly (sorry if I'm wrong), you are not even aware about that
implementation.  If so, it shows how important it is to do "The Right
Thing" - hacks remain unknown even to those who need them.

I cenvision two approaches how to do it right.

1) Use samba library.  The problem is that such thing doesn't exist (it
didn't last time checked).  Contribute it to the Samba team.  Make MC use
it when it's installed.

2) Make MC run "smbclient" and parse its output.  May be not so reliable,
but no changes in other software are required (hopefully).  This is how
FiSH (FIles transferred over SHell) works.

If you mean something else please explain.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin